The funny thing about tastes is that for things that you absolutely loath as a kid may yet turn out to be one of your favorites as an adult – such is the case for me with bitter gourd, and to be frank, quite a few other items.
So for those of you who dislike durian, petai, asparagus, Guinness, and more, perhaps ya’ll just need more doses of them until you like it!
Anyway, here’s one of the recipes I did with bitter gourd over the course of this Covid-19 season.
Bitter Gourd Tofu and Pork Soup Recipe
- 1 bitter gourd, cut in chunks
- 3 carrots
- 300 gram pork belly, cut into bit size chunks
- 1 block of soft tofu
- 2 tomato
- 1 inch ginger
- a handful of salted vege (optional, you can replace with salt to taste)
- boil pork belly for a couple minutes and remove from pot, throw away the scummy water
- use a bigger pot, boil 4-5 bowls of water with everything except tofu for about an hour or so in low heat
- add tofu just before serving
- salt (optional) and pepper to taste
Comfort food especially on rainy days, I usually have it with steamed rice and some soya sauce + cili padi as condiment.