Not too long ago I’ve got my hands on some “sashimi quality” raw salmon, and as everyone knows, if it’s true sashimi quality, the best way to eat it would be .. as is – raw! So I thought of creating my own version of very simple salmon don (rice bowl) with onsen egg.
P/S: when it comes to raw food, treat with caution, you must ensure the fish is really of good quality and freshness or the risk of food poisoning is very real.
- sashimi quality salmon
- Japanese cucumber
- Japanese rice
- pickled ginger (optional)
- seaweed sheet (optional)
- sous vide egg at 63 Celcius for at least 1 hour
- remove salmon skin and cut the fish in sashimi size
- run the fish through with mixture of sesami and soya sauce (1:1 ratio)
- assemble everything on rice
- wasabi on the side
This is about as simple as it gets, and the result was as delicious as those served in Japanese restaurants, except that the portion of fish is wayyyy higher. I need to do this again.