Kyspeaks.com

Malaysian Food Blog, Travel, Diving & More

Tag / pond

After 5 futile day waiting for the pre-mixed concrete that never came. A decision was made, we were going to do it ourself, mixing it old school, hardcore style. 1 part cement, 2 part sand, and 4 parts gravel.

My cousin who is in the construction business brought us to the building material store to get the supplies, and lend some free professional consultations too.

I bought: 1 fork-lift scoop of gravel, 2 scoops of sand, 2 sheets of BRC, 8 packs of cement, 450 cement-bricks, 150 red-bricks, 3 packs of water-proofing agent, 2 rows of brick wire mesh.

Total cost: RM 680+

koi pond building material
Building material delivered, looking like a construction yard now.

cousin in construction industry
Cousin giving a few words of advice

BRC to strengthen the foundation
BRC is laid for a strong foundation

BRC on koi pond foundation
BRC had to be raised a couple inches high (using bricks) so that it’ll be in the middle layer of the concrete

mixing the concrete for koi pond foundation
Mixing the concrete, Big David helped, and so did Chan

mixing concrete for koi pond foundation
David gotten a bit tired..

kerol fooling around
Sotong was just fooling around, as usual

leveling the koi pond concrete foundation
While they mix, I level the concrete foundation at approximately 5 inches thick

concrete foundation for koi pond - done
And it was done!

Next up – Brick wall

While waiting for the pre-mix concrete that never came, we decided to construct a roof partially over the pond. This would ensure the pond does not get too much sunlight. Koi loves a cool temperature, furthermore, extra sunlight promotes algea growth that will make the water green.

We bought some 1″x2″ and 2″x3″ beams for the construction, the plan is to construct only one column at the right end. Connect that to the existing extended roof at the left side like a ‘7’ shape, both with the 2″x3″ beams. The structure would then be connected with the smaller 1″x2″ beams to the existing roof at the top. Put a layer of the “netting” that is usually used for orchids, and we’re set.

Total cost of the roof was around RM 100. That includes the saw, too.

constructing roof over the koi pond
Connecting the skinny beam to the ‘7’ shaped column.

constructing roof over the koi pond
Power tools to the help

constructing roof over the koi pond
Chisseled the edge for a nice finishing

constructing roof over the koi pond
Sawed off the edge, fancy my acrobatic move? Yeah, it translate to performance in other areas too!

constructing roof over the koi pond
The frame is up!

constructing roof over the koi pond
Horng put some finishing touches to the netting

constructing roof over the koi pond
Success!
That took us the whole saturday.

Next up – Concrete Foundation!

So one day my housemate and long time (over 20 yrs) friend Horng and I had the brilliant idea of building a pond in the garden. A Koi Pond.

At first I thought of digging a hole, throwing in a pre-built fiberglass pond, and be done with. After scouring the local aquarium stores and Ikano, we figure the pre-builts are a little too small for what we had in mind, and they weren’t cheap either. Hence we arrived at the decision to build a cement pond.

The plan is to dig a hole, pour in concrete for the base, build up the wall, apply water proofing agent, fix up the bio filter, landscaping and gardening, put in fish, done. Sounds simple? Here we go!

And then we started digging…

digging work for a concrete koi pond
The digging took about a week to complete, deep end is slightly over 3 feet, shallow part a bit over 2 feet.

digging work for a concrete koi pond

digging work for a concrete koi pond

Goh came and lend a helping hand too, for about 15 minutes anyway. Chan helped a bit too.

digging work for a concrete koi pond
The almost finished hole..

KP fooling around
I swear I didn’t kill her…

Originally we were going to pour in pre-mixed concrete that Faggot was going to order for us. Unfortunately due to some unforseen circumstances and 5 days later, we gave up and decided to DIY the concrete part..

Next up – The Roof.