Thai food is of course, more than just tomyam and pad thai. However, there are certain dishes that are quite rare in Malaysia since most Thai establishments are set up with providing halal food in mind (Ying Thai 2 at Melbourne serves a good one). So this is one dish that isn’t particularly easy to find around here, but luckily, it isn’t difficult to cook it up at home either.
Yes, the recipe for this post is Kapraw Pork, or minced pork with chili & basil.
note: you can actually substitute pork with chicken.
kapraw pork – Thai style chili basil pork
The ingredients are simple:
- pork, 2-300 grams, minced
- 4-5 chili (red & green for better color, but either color is fine)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- dark soya sauce (or caramel sauce) – 1 table spoon
- fish sauce – 1 table spoon
ingredients for kapraw pork – pork, chili, fish sauce, basil, garlic
- using pestle and mortar, crush chili & garlic
- heat up 2 tablespoon of cooking oil, and fry chili & garlic till you start coughing (around 2 minutes)
- add minced pork, then fish sauce and dark soya sauce
- stir fry till pork is cooked
- add basil and stir for another 20 seconds or so before serving
For purely aesthetic purposes I also saved half a green & red chili and sliced them instead of having all crushed. You don’t necessarily have to do that.
The result is a dish that is spicy, slightly salty (from fish sauce), and savory at the same time. Best served with rice.
I’m a self confessed gadget freak that spends too much money on toys, I think I’ve used at least half a dozen smart phones already, from Symbian to Blackberry to Android.
Celcom is rolling out all these smart phones deals that looks to be the best in town. Check these out:
Android system, for the gadget freak that syncs everything to the cloud –
- Samsung Galaxy SL (from 468)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab (from RM668)
- LG Optimus 2X (from RM978)
- LG Optimus One (from RM48)
- LG Optimus Me (from RM0)
- Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 (from RM0)
Blackberry, for workaholics who absolutely needs their emails on time, all the time –
- BlackBerry Bold 9780 (from RM888)
- BlackBerry Torch 9800 (from RM1,188)
- BlackBerry Curve 9300 (from RM488)
Windows Phone 7, for those who want to be different, with a sense of adventure –
- LG Optimus 7 (from RM1,068)
Symbian, for the old trusted brand in Nokia –
- Nokia E7 (from RM958)
- Nokia C7 (from 468)
- Nokia C3 (from RM18)
- Nokia C2-01 (from RM0)
iPhone 4, that needs no introduction – COMING SOON!