I haven’t had any Korean food this Corona lockdown period, so naturally it calls for a home made affair to satisfy the cravings. Since there’s no easy way to install an exhaust fan in the dining room to simulate that Korean BBQ experience, I thought kimchi jiggae (kimchi soup) should make a decent replacement, which it did!
So without further ado, here’s my homemade kimchi soup recipe, if you decide to DIY at home too.
- 1000 ml soup stock – i used leftover pork bone soup
- 3-4 bulb garlic
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 2-300 gram pork belly
- 1-2 tube Japanese tofu
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 tablespoon Gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
- 200 gram kimchi
- spring onion & cilantro
- heat up soup stock and add garlic and ginger
- add pork and boil till pork is soft on low heat (depends on thickness, 20-40 mins)
- add gochujang & kimchi, boil for another 10 mins
- add spring onion, egg & tofu for the last 3 mins
- serve with cilantro on top
Simple, wholesome, and great for rainy day, you can have this soup as is or with a bowl of steamed rice.
Check out more simple recipe here.