Sometimes all you want is a dish with meat with some vegetable on rice, one that is nicely marinated, full of flavor, and hits your requirement of protein, carb, fiber, and all that jazz. If that sounds like your kinda thing, let’s get on with how you can prepare this version of stir fry beef bento that I came up with.
The recipe is fairly simple, but does call for good quality beef slices. Here I use some Australian beef, but the same recipe can also be substitute with lamb slices, or even chicken slices as well.
Here are the ingredients:
- 200 gram beef slices
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cap of shaoxing wine (optional)
- black pepper
- 2 red/green chili, slices
- 6-7 cloves of garlic, chunks
- 1/2 onion, slices
- 2-3 stalks of spring onion, cut to 2-3 inches
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- marinate beef slices with all the sauce and sugar
- heat up frying pan with cooking oil
- fry garlic and onion till fragrant
- add chili & spring onion, add sprinkle of salt
- once 80% cooked, add in marinated meat
- don’t over cook the meat, takes only 1-2 minutes to ensure all sides of meat is brown, and you’re done
- serve on steamed rice
- optional – add onsen egg
Preparing and cooking this dish takes perhaps 20-30 minutes, and it probably lasts all of 10 mins or less on the dining table. Love the combination of sweet, salty, umami, and spiciness from all these ingredients. Lovely for a quick afternoon lunch. Try it!