To be frank, I never did grow up with pork belly with salted fish dish, I supposed it was a dish that wasn’t particularly popular up north in Penang where I grew up, that or my family was not privy to the greatness of this combination during that time.
My first time having this was at Lucky Loke restaurant over a decade ago and been a fan ever since.
A few days ago, I finally recreated this dish in the kitchen, and it turned out to be pretty simple and rather delicious as well!
Here goes the recipe –
- Pork belly 300 gram, remove skin, marinate with equal portion (2 tablespoon) of cooking caramel, rice wine, and oyster sauce
- 3-4 bulbs shallots, cut in quarters
- 2 inch ginger, thin sliced
- 6 dried cili, fresh cili (optional)
- 3-4 clove of garlic
- spring onion for garnish
- 2 table spoon salted fish, cut in small chunks
- 3-4 tablespoon cooking oil
it’s a stirring and frying affair
- heat up pan, fry garlic and salted fish
- add dried cili & shallots, fry till fragrant
- add pork, medium heat, cook 5-10 mins depending on thickness
- add fresh cili & spring onion last min
Result was fantastic and require no additional seasoning, now I just need to get me a small claypot to complete the look & feel properly instead of using a frying pan and serving bowl.
10 thoughts on “KY cooks – Pork Belly with Salted Fish (咸鱼花腩煲) minus Claypot”
I so love this, guaranteed to go for a second plate of rice, never mind no claypot – the salted fish will save the day!
suituapui: yess, salted fish always save the day!
i also didn’t grow up with this dish, so i’m not sentimental about it. but if you cook me a bowl that looks as good as that, i’ll happily take it! 😀
Sean: hahaha, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Claypot isn’t necessary as long as you can replicate the taste…hee..hee! 😉 And I’m sure you did. I see you have a 4-burner stove (how often do you use all 4 hurners?). You can wok up a storm with that…hah..hah! 😀
eatwhateatwhere: hahaha, 5 burners in fact!! Of course never use all at the same time, max 3. 😀
fuhh. maciam best. will copy ur recipe next
taufulou: haha give it a try and see how it goes.
Boss, tambah nasi!
Choi Yen: boleh!