To be frank, I never did grow up with pork belly with salted fish dish, I supposed it was a dish that wasn’t particularly popular up north in Penang where I grew up, that or my family was not privy to the greatness of this combination during that time.
My first time having this was at Lucky Loke restaurant over a decade ago and been a fan ever since.
A few days ago, I finally recreated this dish in the kitchen, and it turned out to be pretty simple and rather delicious as well!
Here goes the recipe –
- Pork belly 300 gram, remove skin, marinate with equal portion (2 tablespoon) of cooking caramel, rice wine, and oyster sauce
- 3-4 bulbs shallots, cut in quarters
- 2 inch ginger, thin sliced
- 6 dried cili, fresh cili (optional)
- 3-4 clove of garlic
- spring onion for garnish
- 2 table spoon salted fish, cut in small chunks
- 3-4 tablespoon cooking oil
- heat up pan, fry garlic and salted fish
- add dried cili & shallots, fry till fragrant
- add pork, medium heat, cook 5-10 mins depending on thickness
- add fresh cili & spring onion last min
Result was fantastic and require no additional seasoning, now I just need to get me a small claypot to complete the look & feel properly instead of using a frying pan and serving bowl.