Continuing with another cooking recipe since we’ve been actively cooking more at the new house, here’s how I made my version of clams with superior soup, a pretty traditional style of making clam that is pretty simple and yet tastes mighty good so long as the clams are juicy and fresh.
You can use lala or clams for this, do make sure they’re fresh and alive. Soak the clams in salt water for at least an hour or so to let it “spit out” any mud/sand, then rinse them thoroughly before cooking.
fresh clams, and the ingredients for superior soup
- 1kg clams
- 3-4 pieces of tongkuai
- few small pieces of dried scallops
- 2 teaspoon wolf berries
- 1/2 bulb of garlic
- 5-6 slices of ginger
- 5-6 chili padi
- 2-3 cups water or soup stock
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
soup cooked separately, then fry the garlic, ginger & chili first
- boil water with tongkwai, wolfberry, and dried scallops, use soup stock if available
- heat up cooking oil and fry garlic, ginger, and chili padi till fragrant
- add clams and fry for a minute
- add above prepared “soup”, and boil till all clams are opened
- add some salt for seasoning
While the above pictures look pretty nice, the dish was a bit of a failure due to the clams we bought being not particularly fresh, I cannot stress enough that you really need good quality clam for this dish.