When I was a student in the States years ago, I remember one of the things we always struggle to findÂ when it comes to cooking ingredients is santan, or coconut milk.
I mean, if you’re a Malaysian, you got to have curry, and to make curry and a host of other Malaysian dishes, santan is often a key ingredients. Back in the days, we had to substitute santan with milk, so Â you can imagine how happy I would have been if I had access to something like S&P Santan instant coconut cream powder back then.
S&P Santan and other FFMâ€™s sponsored products at the cooking workshop
A couple weeks ago, I was invited to attend the I love S&P Santan Cooking Workshop with Chef Andri to check out some of the products from S&P Industries as well as getting our hands wet at the kitchen learning from the good chef in making three different dishes.
Lex from KampungBoyCityGal and I are in the same team
A little bit on S&P Industries Sdn Bhd.
S&P Industries is the pioneer in coconut milk powder manufacturing in Malaysia since 1983 and is the world’s largest producer of coconut milk powder with distributions to more than 40 countries.
Their Santan Instant Coconut Milk Powder is made 100% from fresh coconut, does not have preservative or artificial coloring.
The coconut milk powder comes in 50 gram sachets in original, omega, & pandan. They also have coconut milk coming in 200 ml and 1 liter packs.
working on our first appetizer dish
We had a lot of fun at FFM Marketing’s kitchen with the lively Chef Andri showing offÂ his three recipes – an appetizer, a main dish, and a dessert.
I really liked how versatile the coconut cream powder was, it is very easy and convenient to use compared to traditional method. Simply add in the powder while cooking and let it dissolve. The S&P Sejati Desiccated Coconut also came in very handy for making desserts and other dishes, the longer shell life is most helpful too.
With Lex from KampungBoyCityGal as my partner (we called our team Kampung Utara), we competed with other teams in creating these dishes, and although we did not win, I think we can claim that we made some of the best looking dishes among the contestants. If you aren’t the best, try to look the best, right?
I also like the choice of venue, the FFM cooking facility located at Sungai Buloh is really well equipped. In fact we were the first group of people to get to use it. The venue is open to rental too, do contact email@example.com or 03-61457888 for inquiries.
The recipes from Chef Andri are shared below so you can give them a try at home.
here’s our spinach broccoli coconut soup (nice plating?)
Spinach Broccoli Coconut Soup
- 50 gram fresh baby spinach
- 100 gram fresh brocolli, cut into florets
- 25 gram butter
- 1/2 red bombay onion, chopped
- 2 nos garlic, crushed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 50 gram S&P Santan Instant Coconut Cream Powder
- pinch of salt, pinch of nutmeg powder, pinch of white pepper powder
- Rinse fresh baby spinach leaves, shaking off excess water. Melt butter in large sauce pan t medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute for 3 mins of until tender.
- Add vegetable stock, let boil and add broccoli. Put heat at low temperature and simmer for 3 mins or until broccoli is tender. Add fresh baby spinach and cook till just soft. Let cool for a while.
- Using a food processor, process soup until smooth. Return soup to sauce pan and place over medium heat.
- Add S&P Santan Instant Coconut Cream Powder, nutmeg powder, and white pepper. Bring to gentle simmer. Ladle into cups and served with Massimo Wheat Germ garlic bread.
baked cajun chicken wings, with S&P Pandan Santan Coconut Cream Powder
Baked Cajun Chicken Wings
- 3 pairs of chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon Krystal Pure Sunflower Oil
- 2 teaspoon cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh curry leaves
- pinch of salt
Coconut Pandan Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Blue Key Superfine Flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 50 gram S&P Pandan Santan Coconut Cream Powder
- 2 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese
- pinch of nutmeg powder, pinch of salt
Garnishing:Â 1 tablesppon grated parmesan cheese (sprinkle)
- Clean chicken wings and marinate, keep chill for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat sauce pan with low to medium heat and put in butter. Let it melt and add Blue Key Superfine Flour. Mix well with a balloon whisk until smooth.
- Add in vegetable stock, whisk well and add in S&P Pandan Santan Coconut Cream Powder, whisk until warm but not boiled.
- Add in nutmeg powder, grated cheddar cheese and grated parmesan cheese, stir well until thicken. Turn off heat and put aside.
- Preheat oven to 170C and preheat frying pan with medium heat Â and seaf the marinated wings until golden brown.
- Put seared wings on oven tray and bake for 15 mins.
- Spread coconut pandan cheese sauce on plate and arrange the baked wings, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top.
Cavendish coconut fritters, with S&P Santan Sejati desiccated coconut
Cavendish Coconut Fritters
- 1 Cavendish banana, peeled and sliced to 3
- 2 cups Seri Murni Cooking Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup Blue Key Self Rising Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda powder
- 1 cup soda water
- 1 cup S&P Santan Sejati Desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup Blue Key Superfine Flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cooking cream
- 50 gram butter
- 1 drop Star Brand Artificial Banana Flavor
- fresh mint leaves
- toasted dessicated coconut-sprinkle
- vanilla ice-cream to serve
- Preheat sauce pan at medium heat to make caramel sauce, stir the sugar, cream and butter, stir well for 4-5 minutes for until smooth. Then drop Star Brand Artificial Banana Flavour and stir well.
- Sift the Blue Key Self Raising Flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Whisk in soda water until smooth.
- Spread S&P Santan Sejati Desiccated Coconut and Blue Key Superfine Flour over separate plates.
- Preheat saucepan at medium heat with Seri Murni Cooking Oil. Roll 3 pieces of banana in flour and shake off excess. use bamboo stick and dip in batter, then roll in desiccated coconut to coat.
- Carefully add to the oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Spread the caramel sauce over a serving plate and arrange the fried bananas, put vanilla ice cream at side and garnish with fresh mint leaves and sprinkle toasted desiccated coconut.
Do you love cooking and have some awesome recipes to share? You might even get to win cool prizes!
Just share your very own recipes using S&P Santan products and stand a chance to win attractive prizes.
Head on to S&P Santan Facebook Page to find out more.