It’s been a while since I posted the last recipe, so here’s another simple to make soup dish that anyone can make at home – Chinese corn and spare ribs soup. If you want it without pork, feel free to substitute spare ribs with chicken wings or bones.
I use a pressure cooker for this, but a normal pot would work too if you just increase the cooking time a factor of 2-3.Â PreparationÂ time for this dish is less than 10 minutes.
corn, red dates, dried cuttle fish
The ingredients are fairly simple to source, and they aren’t expensive either. This is good for 4 small bowls of soup
- 2 x sweet corns (best if you get those from Cameron Highland, they are extra juicy)
- 600 grams of spare ribs
- half a dozen dried red dates
- 1 x dried cuttle fish or some dried scallops
boil the spare ribs for a while to remove impurities
Now the cooking instructions:
- boil the spare ribs separately for 1-2 minutes to remove impurities
- cut the corn in 2 and put all ingredients with 4 bowls of water in pressure cooker (6 bowls if you are using normal pot to account for evaporation)
- bring to boil and cook in pressure for 45 mins to an hour
- add salt to taste (about 1.5 teaspoon for me)
- add pepper to taste
- additionally, sprinkle some chopped spring onion before serving
just boil everything in pressure cooker for at least 45 minutes
The result is a clear soup that has the taste of sweet corn and spare ribs infused in it. It goes well with steamed rice or even just on its own.
Easy, healthy, and delicious, try it!
add a sprinkle of spring onion and you’re done – corn & spare ribs soup