By now, you’ve probably read about the Blackberry 8520 that is designed with prepaid customers in mind from this blog and/or elsewhere.
Although I’ve been talking pretty much exclusively about the offer from Xpax (advertorial ma..), we do something a little different today, lets put Xpax and the offer from Hotlink head to head for an very direct and simple comparison.
rate plan for Xpax from here
First, from Xpax, there are two plans to choose from, and they are pretty simple.
- Blackberry Social – RM 1/day (from 12.00am to 11.59pm) you get facebook, Myspace, instant messaging such as YM, Windows Live Messenger, BBM, Gtalk, ICQ, and more
- Blackberry Advance – RM 2.5/day, you have everything the BB 8520 has to offer, push mail, web browsing and any application that connects to the internet, including my favorite – Twitter.
So in short, it’s around RM 30 to RM 75 per month.
note: although branded “unlimited”, the data rate is capped at 1 GB per day, additional data usage subject to RM0.10/10kb. Source.
rate plan for Hotlink from here
Now lets look at Hotlink’s offer. There are four plans in total, so a direct comparison gets slightly more tricky.
- BIS Social – RM 28/month, services are similar to Xpax’s Blackberry Social, but data is capped at 100 MB
- BIS Messaging – RM 28/month, with instant messaging and push mail only, data is capped at 100 MB
- BIS Weekly Premium – RM 28/week, this is everything, similar to Xpax’s Blackberry Advance, data is capped at 50MB
- BIS Premium – RM 98/month, data at 1.5GB
Data cap is for Hotlink as per the subscription period of either weekly or monthly, additional rate is at RM 0.01/1kb peak and RM 0.005/1kb off peak. Source (pdf).
In terms of pricing, Xpax is clearly cheaper with RM 75-77.50 vs RM 98 per month for Advance/Premium plan, while Hotlink priced their Social plan slightly lower at RM 28 vs RM 30/31 per month.
Hotlink has the Push mail + Instant Messaging plan that Xpax lack (at RM 28/month)
However, the biggest difference in these two offering is at the data caps. Xpax’s quota is on at 1 GB per day while Hotlink’s cap varies from 100MB to 1.5GB per month is just a lot lower in comparison. If you’re a heavy user, this is quite clearly a cause for concern.