This is the 2nd video of the Koi Pond posted since it’s completion more than a year ago. Since the first video was of me and my house mate swimming in it, I thought this time it’ll be best to show you noobs the beautiful kois that lives in the now plenty matured pond.
The are six kois altogether, with the average size of 16-18 inches. They were less than 10 inches in length when I got them from the farm, with the exception of one Kohaku and the Showa donated from Mr. Lee (Thanks!) after I lost the Shiro Utsuri. With the Chagoi still being the champion, the kois are pretty friendly and not easily intimidated by people. Other than the three mentioned, there are also a Yamabuki Ogon, a not so pure Tancho, and another Kohaku from more than a year ago.
Glossary on types of koi:
Kohaku – red and white koi
Tancho – white koi with red dot on its head
Showa – red, white, and black koi, with at least some black color on the head
Yamabuki Ogon – solid yellow color koi
Chagoi – olive color koi, also usually the bravest of the pack
After elevating the garden, we add another layer of brick to the top of the pond wall. The bricks are layed about 3 inches offset from the inner part of the wall. Mortar is then plaster on covering the bricks to create a round it up. This creates a nice roundish top with an illusion that the wall is thicker than it actual.
An overflow pipe is installed at the deep end too. A 2″ diameter pvc pipe with an L joint is used. This serves to channel the extra water from rainfall straight to the drain.
Horng did the first 30% while I finished the rest in another day. Took us 2 sessions. Galvin helped out in mixing the mortar. Thanks dude!
Horng did the first part
I continued the work
Galvin mixing the mortar, but first we had to filter the sand to remove pebbles and cat poo
After plastering the wall, we elevate the garden by laying red bricks seperating the garden and the drive way. This has two advantages, elvation of the garden to deepen the pond by an extra 6 inches, and also saves us the hassle of removing all the earth dug up to make the pond. Even then, we had removed about 15 wheelbarrow of red earth.
I had to use an aquarium tube filled with water to mark the difference in the elevation from the gate to the front of the house to ensure the side wall is not slanted. The difference is about 5 inches in height, hence 2layers of bricks by the front of the wall is used, while 3 layers near the gate.
This took us two days, originally only a layer of bricks were to be layed, but we eventually decided to top it up with another.
Look at Galvin’s blog for his version of my pond, supped up and modified!
Mixing the mortar a bit
Laying the 2nd layer of brick at the front of the house
Cutting red bricks proved to be a pretty tough job
Done! You can see 2 layers of bricks from the left, to 3 layers to the right side.
Now that the brick wall is up, it’s time to plaster it with a thin layer of cement. 1 part cement 3 part sand. This step is a little more delicate, my pal horng did most of the plastering after I did the initial 20%. In the mean time, I was building up the red-brick wall to elevate the garden. That’ll be on another post
This process took us about 3 days
My friendly housemate and buddy for more than 20 years, horng salutes you
Jack was helping to shuffle the mortar too. Sex him up please, gals.
True to the JKR (Jangan Kerja Rajin) spirit, 2 of us were holding the torch light while horng works
Slope at the bottom of the wall to have a smooth connection to the concrete floor.
Now that the foundation is done, the next step is to build up the wall for the pond. We use bricks and mortar for this purpose. 1 part cement with 3 parts sand. Wire mesh to be layed in between the bricks for every 3 layers too, to strengthen the wall.
The process took about 3 days
I started out at the deepest end, the corners are particulary tough
Working the way up..
The lines are for leveling purposes
You can see the lines more clearly here
All nice and leveled up, the hole at the far end is left for the overflow pipe