Tag / party
The famous Green Day song – Wake Me Up When September Ends is what I always tell people when asked about my birthday, which falls on the 1st of October.
Coincidentally, this also marks one of the most happening month on the calendar, for it signifies the celebration of Oktoberfest here in Malaysia! This year, we have Paulaner as the official beer, tastefully served in a 1-liter Ceramic Oktoberfest mug (more on this mug later.)
GAB is celebrating with a series of themed parties all across Malaysia with Tiger, Guinness, Heineken, and as mentioned, the Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier, brewed exclusively only for Oktoberfest season.
we had great fun at previous Oktoberfest parties, expect the same this year!
Expect many evenings of good food and beer from around the world, great fun contests, promotions and activities as well.
The limited Oktoberfest 1-liter mug that comes with a metal lid is yours to keep when you get the official Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier, but reserve yours early for it is well, a limited edition. I think it’ll go well with my previous Oktoberfest 1-liter glasses.
official Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier
Now you may ask, what makes the official Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier different from the “ordinary” Paulaner?
Well, for one, the Oktoberfest edition is a lager instead of a wheat beer; and at 13% proof (about 6% alcohol), it is also slightly stronger than the usual variant.
In fact, all Oktoberfest are approximately 13% proof, and must be brewed within the city limits of Munich and must also conform to the Reinheitsgebot or Bavarian Purity Law which strictly governs the production of beer in Germany by limiting the ingredients that can be used.
Paulaner was first brewed by the monks from the Paulaner monastery in 1634, but still considered one of the youngest Oktoberfest beers standing at “only” 380 years young.
If you’re interested in the history of Oktoberfest, read on:
Oktoberfest Facts & Figures
- This celebration initially started as wedding celebration in 1810 to commemorate the union between Crown Prince Ludwig (who later became King Ludwig I) and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen at Theresienwiese (translated as Therese’s meadow / field) – it is for this reason that Oktoberfest is referred to by Germans as ‘die Wiesn’ or ‘the field’
- Through the years, Oktoberfest celebrations have had a number of different elements and activities, including horse races, street parades (in traditional costumes), live music, dancing and of course the appreciation of authentic Munich-brewed beer.
- Currently, Oktoberfest is a truly global celebration with almost 7 million visitors consuming over 7 million litres of beer and more than half a million chickens throughout the celebration (based on 2011 figures), which lasts between 16 – 18 days from the middle of September to the first Sunday of October.
- For 2013, the Oktoberfest festival proper will run from 21 September 2013 to October 6 2013 – a total of 16 days of culture, cuisine and beers
Have you had your October fun?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/OktoberfestMY for more fun events and exciting promotions
Earlier this month was our good friend FireAngel (Ee Laine is the actual name, but we call her ahfa)’s 18th birthday for the nth time, we decided to throw her a somewhat not-so-surprised party at 42 EAST, TTDI.
birthday girl and me with my awesome t-shirt
It was just an old fashion type of evening, hanging out, enjoying some finger foods, and having plenty of Kilkenny draught to go around for everyone. Over here at 42 EAST they serve them in three pints for RM 66++, a rather good deal.
I love the aroma of the dark ale served fresh, something that’s only topped by the awesome company that we had that night.
with a bunch of friends at 42 EAST, TTDI
Among the attendees were the familiar faces – Haze, Michael & Li Ling, Lance & Melissa, Horng & Yuki, Suan, Terence & Celine, Sam, Whey Lu, and AhFa’s date – John.
good times, great beer
I think we should do this more often and not just when someone’s ticker turns up a notch.
We’re gonna have another party real soon, can’t wait!
And it was another Xmas Eve Party at SS3, a yearly tradition that we’ve had since 2004 (except for 2010), if you’re counting, this was the 8th time on the same venue with the same concept – plenty of drinks, a bit of food, and a tricky gift exchange program by midnight.
The idea is for everyone to have some fun counting down to Christmas day, and at the same time an excuse to have a few drinks and mingle among like minded friends.
xmas eve party at SS3, 2012
Carlsberg Malaysia was kind enough to sponsor us some beer for the night – we had 2 cases of Carlsberg, Asashi Super Dry, and Kronenbourg Blanc each. Thank you Pearl, Calvin, and Serin!
I made full use of the Jagermiester freezer and Carlsberg beer tower I won from the Jagermiester Halloween Party a couple months ago.
I made some bergedil, haze marinated pork for bbq, Fresh made santa berries
Other than the beer, we prepared some food for the night. Haze marinated more than 3 KGs of pork for BBQ and prepared a small slab of roast pork, I made some bergedil, and Fresh prepared her little cute Santaberries.
It wasn’t a dinner event, so these were just beer food.
Jeniffer & Janine; Fooi, Sam, Kerol, Terence; Shany & Desmond, Eiling, Horng
Guests started coming in just slightly before 9 pm. In fact, David and Michael actually went to my place while we were out having dinner, talk about being too punctual.
Fresh, Huss, Janine, Winnie & Terence, KY, Erin, Yuki, Martin
The returning party goers were:
KY, Haze, Horng, Yuki, Kim, Gareth, Terence, Kerol, Ruby, Michael, Li Ling, Lance, Eiling, Yee Hou, Firdy, Zess, Shiang.
Fiqa, Eiling, Ruby & Desmond, Terence, Vindy, Cherlyn, Desmond, Terence
New Faces were:
Fiqa, Huss, Fresh, Erin, Martin, Jennifer, Janine, Winnie, Fooi, Desmond, Sam, Geoffery, Shany, Cheryn, Vindy, David, Gary
So that was 17-17 with a total of 34 people, a pretty nice turn out despite a few notable absence due to work, travel, and family commitments. You know who you are, and we hope to see you next year.
David, Yee Hou, Desmond, Michael, Kerol, Horng, Firdy, Gary
We had another fun filled gift exchange program with the following rules this year
- every participant contribute a gift worth over RM 49.90, and then draw a number from the box
- smallest number start by picking and unwrapping a gift
- next number can snatch the opened gift, whereby the person who lost it gets to choose another gift, or snatch another opened gift
- maximum of 3 snatching sequence per round
The most snatched gift was a sweet Puma Ducati bag from Fooi that’s actually retailed at over RM 300, Lance went home with it. Other memorable gifts include portable air bed, Chinese liquor, ice cream, Thor’s Hammer bottle opener, a couple of salami from Australia.
Terence ended up with a pair of blue lingerie, who would have thought, right?
Gary, Geoffery, Horng; Yee Hou, Fresh, Yuki, Haze; and finally, the drunken man
The men in blue visited us by around 2 am and that’s when the party was winding down. The ending of this party is almost exactly the same as the one in 2008 where we had a dude in Afro K-O-ed on the floor. It was a blast.
See you guys next year!
I was initially going to skip this party, until I saw a pretty awesome costume idea off Reddit (my number one time waster these days). Decided to give it a go and thanks to Siao Ling, I got a pair of invites to the Jagermeister Halloween The Beginning Party at Carcosa
Jagermeister party and my silly costume
A day prior to the party I drove around the neighbourhood a bit and found a couple empty cardboard boxes for my prop. I spent probably about an hour and a half to build this costume with another RM 6.90 spent in buying some safety pins, and utilized half a roll of duct tape too. Together with a couple of pillows, a pair of riding gloves, and some plastic bags, the costume was done.
Every house should have some duct tape and WD40, these two things will solve 90% of all household problems.
we partied hard! Ee Laine, KY, Haze, Michael, Elle, Fooi
Haze did everyone’s make up here, the only one missing was Terence, who decided to ffk for a few hours because lame reasons. Fooi looked decent in here but he eventually went full retard due to too many shots of Jagermeister.
the loot – a Carlsberg beer tower and a Jagermeister mini fridge
My costume was one of five that won the prizes – a Carlsberg beer tower and a very sweet Jagermeister mini fridge. These will be very useful for the next x’mas party. I also had most photos taken with me in my life time, felt like the bride in a wedding night, it was glorious!
Thanks again Siao Ling for the invites!
After the public off days in January and February, one of the most common theme at the office is people complaining about the lack of holidays on March and April.
Well, so far as government sanctioned holidays, that might be true, but for anyone who likes to enjoy a pint of Irish goodness every so often, there is always the 17th of March – Saint Patrick’s Day!
The 18th is a Sunday, which makes this year’s St. Patrick’s Day ever more convenient, since we can thoroughly enjoy the drinks without worrying about having to get up early the next day. Yeahhhhhhhh!
For those who isn’t familiar with St. Patrick’s Day, there’s a wikipedia entry on it; for those who already know what it is all about, here are some extra fun facts:
- St. Patrick’s Day is one of the most observed celebrations in the world, enjoyed with over 100 countries. For the past two years, GUINNESS organized the celebration in Malaysia.
- It is a national holiday in Ireland and island of Montserrat in the Caribbean
- St. Patrick’s Day was first celebrated in America in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1737, which has a lot of Americans with Irish ancestry
- Everything green is used during St. Patrick’s Day – green beer, green food, green outfit, you name it
- Last year’s St. Patrick’s Day celebration in Changkat Bukit Bintang attracted over 8000 people here in Malaysia
- Cities that organized St Patrick’s Day parades include Florence, Oslo, Munich, Copenhagen, Moscow, Seoul, Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Birmingham, Sydney, and the biggest of them all, in New York City
As with the previous two years, on this 17th March this year, GUINNESS is bringing back the St. Patrick’s Day Street Party at Changkat Bukit Bintang.
The whole street will be transformed into an iconic St Patrick’s street party from 6pm till late, there will also be the “Comedy Court’ with some of the funniest people in the region with their hilarious performances.
Do not miss out!
Other than Changkat, GUINNESS is also bringing St. Patrick’s experience to the following cities:
- Upper Penang Road, Penang - 10th March 2012
- Mount Austin, Johor Bharu – 23rd March 2012
- Ipoh Garden East, Ipoh - 24th March 2012
- Jonker Street, Melaka – 31st March 2012
At Sabah & Sarawak
- KK Times Square – 16th March 2012
- KK Waterfront – 17th March 2012
- Kuching (Jln Tunku Abdul Rahman) – 24th March 2012
- Kuching (Brighton Square) – 10th March 2012
- Miri (Pelita Commercial Center) – 31st March 2012
All throughout March, there are special promotions in more than 2000 GUINNESS outlets nationwide. Get a GUINNESS St. Patrick’s miniature glass (5 different designs) with every 4 glasses of GUINNESS draught or a bucket of GUINNESS Foreign extra stout. There’s also limited edition GUINNESS St. Patrick’s t-shirt available every Thursday from 8th March till 31st March 2012 for just additional RM 10 in 178 selected outlets.
It is simply the best month for Guinness lovers. From the photos above, you can sorta tell that I am one of those people.
Hop on to www.facebook.com/guinnessmalaysia for more information!
As with every celebration that matters, there is also a pledge that I urge you to take part in.
GUINNESS wants to make St. Patrick’s Day officially the ”The Friendliest Day of the Year” by getting 1 million people from all over the world to pledge. I’ve put in mine, how about you? If we hit the targeted number, this will also go into Guinness World Records title for Most pledges for a campaign, be a part of it!
Head to St. Patrick’s Day Pledge on Facebook to do it.
See you at Changkat Bukit Bintang on the 17th March!