Last week semperna ulang tahun kelahiran Haze Long, we went to Templer Park Forest Retreat for a bit of a getaway (blog post some other time). A place that’s a bit out of the city and more in tune with nature, which also translate to making our own food.
Fortunately, there’s a pretty well equipped kitchen for our usage, and the Selayang market nearby. So on the morning of the 2nd day, we went to the market and picked up a chunky barramundi fish (siakap) for a bit of DIY ikan bakar.
I want to share with you the recipe of this dish, as it is a very simple dish to prepare at home. It’s pretty delicious and the use of banana leaf in this preparation method ensure that the skin is edible and never charred.
home cooked ikan bakar with siakap fish
- 600-800 gram barramundi fish (or stingray, or any other fish of similar size)
- turmeric powder (kunyit)
- 2 pieces banana leaves big enough to cover the fish
- a couple table spoon of cooking oil or butter
ikan bakar with kunyit (turmeric) – sedap!
- clean and dry the fish
- cover generous amount of turmeric powder and two teaspoon of salt on the fish, set aside for at least a few minutes
- heat up a flat surface frying pan, then pan fry the fish on top of banana leaf for 10 mins with oil
- fry the other side of fish with a fresh banana leaf for another 8 minutes
- serve with a couple slices of lime (bonus: with sambal)