For the uninitiated, Oktoberfest is a month long celebration of good beer, good food, and plenty of performances and of course, that calls for huge celebrations.
This year is no different than previous years, GAB will again celebrate Oktoberfest in various restaurants and pubs across the country on the whole month of Oktober.
Oktoberfest at Bulldog, expect more of these!
There will be quite a lot of places celebrating Oktoberfest. On these celebrations, Paulaner, Strongbow, Guinness, Tiger Beer, and Kilkenny will be on happy hour all night long on draught.
Furthermore, available exclusively during Oktoberfest festival are Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier, Hopf Ice Beer, and 111 Zwickl. You won’t want to miss out!
If you haven’t been to one, you should! I went to Oktoberfest at Bulldog last year and had a whale of time. There were tonnes of beer to go around and they are usually coupled with awesome food, and all with very good deals too, just in the name of the celebration.
Check out the video above to get an idea of what’s awaiting.
Check out the massive beer mugs in FA’s hands
At every GAB Oktoberfest celebration, you’ll also get a 1 Litre Oktoberfest Mug with every purchase of 1 Litre Tiger Draught, look at the photo collage above, the bottom right mug is about the size of the Oktoberfest Mug you’ll be getting (held by FA, the lady in red).
All GAB brands are involved in the celebration, including one of my favorites – Guinness. In fact, I suspect that this might be even genetics as it too was my late dad’s favorite choice of drink. The black creamy beer with the distinct aroma and slight bitter taste that simply has no competition for the past 250+ years.
Everyone can enjoy this awesome goodness, bottled or draught
I’m also a huge fan of Kilkenny as well, and this brand too will be on happy hour all night long during Oktoberfest with GAB. Yes!
At whichever location, it will certainly be an entertaining night, with games and a special appearance by Die Dorf Fest Kapelle, a “Bavarian Style’ Oompah band who will be performing for the night.
KY & Haze having a Kilkenny over supper
For the definitive green beer fans, Heineken too is one of the beers featured in this celebration. Ale, Lager, or black beer, we’ve got everything covered.
So, fellow beer lovers, here is the list of Oktoberfest celebrations in Malaysia with GAB:
7/10/2011 – 798 Wine Bar, TCM
8/10/2011 – The Beer Factory, Sunway Giza
9/10/2011 – SOULed Out Sri Hartamas
11/10/2011 – Jupiter Club
12/10/2011 – Royal Selangor Club
12/10/2011 – Metro Club
13/10/2011 – The Beer Factory, Old Klang Road
13/10/2011 – Season’s Club
14/10/2011 – Cold Storage Special at Solaris, Mont Kiara
It’s that time of the year again, the time when Guinness is going to rock Malaysia on Arthur’s Day 2011 edition. This is installment number 252, yes, the famous black beer has been around this long, and will be around long I am gone.
This is the 3rd year running that Guinness is bringing in a big act to town for the celebration, and this year it is none other than Taio Cruz.
If the name does not immediately ring a bell, check out the video above and I’m sure you’d know the ultra catchy tune being played at every club that matters.
The big party will be at:
date: 23rd September
time: 6pm till late
venue: Speed City KL
In previous years, you can usually buy a ticket to the concert, but this year, the party will be exclusively by invites only.
For those who are interested, there is good news, I have FIVE (5) pairs of exclusive tickets to be given out here. All you need to do is tweet or post a photo of yourself on facebook wearing your Arthur’s Day outfit, and post the link on the comment box below.
That’s it, the 5 most interesting photos get the tickets, I’ll be the judge and decision is unfortunately, final. 😀
It is a Money can’t buy event! So win them here and good luck yo!
Remember, money can do a lot of things, it can even buy you a pint of Guinness like the one pictured above, but money can’t buy experience, some things you’ll just have to earn it!
the photos taken from Arthurs Day 2009 and 2010
Some of the best parties I’ve had was at Athurs Day 2009 and 2010. They say picture says a thousand words, so the above collage is an 8,000 words demonstration on the sort of time you would expect at this year’s party. Don’t miss it!
Before heading to Malones for a food review session, I had somehow cooked dinner for 5 days in a row, which must be a record. The review session came as a nice break from doing the dishes, so it was all good. 😀
This review is in conjunction to Malones’ St. Patrick dishes, which suddenly reminds me that we are already in March, 2011! I was still trying to write 2010 on my notepad…
Malones at Sooka Sentral, just across from KL Sentral
Since Sooka Sentral is just right across the street from KL Sentral Suanie and I took the train there, it was RM 2.00 well spent, no getting stuck in traffic jam, best.
Malones is its own building, surrounded by high rise office towers with the LRT line zipping right next to it, giving the place a very metro feel while devoid of cars, I like. We were greeted by the friendly Hui Peng of G2, and May of Malones (who also invited me to EEST while at her previous job.)
Guinness infused beef stew
First dish to come was the Guinness infused Beef Stew (RM 29.90), and yes, it was my favorite dish of the night. The beef was very tender and with a strong hint of Guinness flavor in the savory sauce. The vegetable in the stew was done just right too, it didn’t take the slightest of pressure to bite the carrot and celery that are both well flavored.
Guinness infused sausages and burger
Then we had Irish Sausage on Colcannon and Guinnness Onion Gravy (RM 30.90), they are made of chicken, lamb, and beef. Calcannon is basically mash potato with cabbage, a traditional Irish dish. I like the chicken & beef sausages more than the lamb, and they do go better with a tad of mustard. It was also the first time I had calcannon, and I like it!
Guinness Beef Burger (RM24.90) came with a super thick beef patty that’s marinated with Guinness, then cooked to perfection with melted cheese on top. Sumptuous, almost too rich, but absolutely satisfying.
Guinness infused beef ribs, sooo good!
Last dish for the night was Malones Beef Ribs with Guinness Sauce (RM 29.90). I am usually not a very big beef rib fan (preferring pork, of course, but Malones is pork free, in fact, the only pork free Irish pubs in town), but the XL size beef rib (yah, singular) was actually very impressive.
It was so tender and easily cut even just with spoons, absolutely delicious!
Jason and Tock were the other two bloggers, and we had a good time catching up. Tock and I play futsal occasionally (he’s supposed to be a regular but the fella always ffk), and Jason just moved to KL from Malacca not long ago.
The menu is available now, and on St. Patrick’s day, Malones have a special deal whereby for RM 99, you get on the St Patrick’s Bus Tour that takes you to four different locations, with food & drinks at and on the way, pretty sweet deal I think! Do check it out ya!
Address: Malones Annex 1 & 2 Sooka Sentral Jalan Stesen Sentral 5 50470 Kuala Lumpur GPS: 3.13365, 101.68511
To be honest, before the following epic song from youtube, I didn’t know that Christmas is a twelve day celebration. While we’re at this cosmically auspicious number (12 hr on your clock, 12 star signs, 12 chinese zodiac, 12 in a dozen, etc), I’ll like to talk about the 12 things I want for Xmas.
But before that, you have to watch the epic video.
Now this list of 12 things I want, I don’t expect to be able to really get all of them, nor do I really think that some of them are entirely realistic, or make any sense. This will be almost like wild birthday wishes, except there are 12 of them, here goes!
1. I wish that Cendawan the Bengal cat learns to walk on leash like a dog, I mean, the dude already can play fetch better than most canines already. Refer to this post’s video. This way we can bring him out and pretend to be fashionable like the rich and famous walk their cheetahs in the 60s.
2. The same cat should also learn how to open canned food and stop waking me up at 7am everyday to ask for food.
3. While learning how to use a can opener, how about get on to use the bottle opener and fetch me some Guinness while I play games in front of the TV? That’ll surely be neat.
4. Which brings us to the next item. I wish to have another set of Logitech G27 racing wheel + seat setup so that we can play multiplayer GT5 while having a good drink.
5. Someone should invent a car simulator game to simulate drunk driving and the consequences of driving intoxicated. Who says education for adults can’t be achieved via gaming? It’s a brilliant idea, think about it. We can have this in the curriculum for driving license too. Responsible Drinking is what we should advocate.
6. I also wish for more drive through restaurants. Sure, we have McDonald’s and a few KFCs, but how about some drive through hawker foods? Or even a drive through bakery/sandwich place? That’s not too much to ask for I believe!
7. While we’re at the subject of food, I want for this Xmas, more Guinness infused dishes! Other than various meat and a few seafood dishes, the most interesting item has got to be the Guinness sorbet by Chef in Black. I want to see more, that or someone start selling Guinness sorbet in hypermarkets please.
8. It’s also about time someone cook the exact same version of Lorong Selamat char kueh teow and sell them here. Preferably within walking distance from my house or workplace. Those gigantic prawns, yumsss.
10. More Chinese/Malay style eateries to operate 24 hours please. We’re confined to mamak and Ming Tien food courts only. 🙁
11. How about a few more awesome Guinness events like the one we had at Aquaria just prior to Arthur’s Day celebration? Guinness sure know how to throw a great party!
12. Lastly, I want you guys to check out the Merry Guinness facebook page. Buy 6 pints of Guinness Draught or a bucket of Guinness stout gets you a Guinness Heritage glass! The page also list the 12 events Guinness is having from 10th all the way to the 23rd of December, check it out!
13. Why do I limit myself to 12 items anyway? Leave a comment and tell me what you want for your Merry Guinness this year and join me for a pint of Guinness and a delicious Xmas dinner at Bulldog pub (at Hartamas) on 17th of Dec 2010! There’ll be 4 winners, be creative! We can play the Merry Mat there, it’ll be more than just a pint of Guinness, it’ll be the whole Merry Guinness Experience you’re getting. 😀
The very first Oktoberfest is said to be taken place in Munich on October 12, 1810 to commemorate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. They decided to do it again the very next year since it was a lot more successful than everyone anticipated.
However, it is pretty safe to say that even the original couple couldn’t have envisioned the appeal of Oktoberfest to be this huge. It took 200 years, but Oktoberfest is now a in full swing right here in KL! (someone should edit the Oktoberfest Celebrations article in Wikipedia if it’s not done already).
Five big celebrations of Oktoberfest happened right here in Malaysia, SOULed Out, Sid’s TTDI, and Laundry Bar in KL, Upper Penang Road in, well, Penang, and Waterfront in Kota Kinabalu.
In conjunction with Oktoberfest, Tiger Beer has some pretty awesome promotions too:
RM50 mug of 1 litre Tiger beer (you can keep the Oktoberfest mug)
A bucket of 5 Tiger Beer pints Free when you spend more than RM200 on your food bill
Free Oktoberfest Hat when you grab the 12-beer cans pack at participating hypermarket
I went to Sid’s to break my Oktoberfest virginity.
To be honest, the celebration turned out to be quite a lot bigger than I had anticipated. There was a big tent set up outside Sid’s, with hundreds of people partying right on the streets (this despite the fact that it was a weekday too), check out the video above.