During this work-from-home and movement control era, cooking couple of meals a day can sometimes lead to a bit of a fatigue especially in terms of coming up with dishes to cook. If you think figuring out which restaurant to go to is a hassle, try figure out what to cook for the 5th week straight…
Anyway, one of my favorite “cheat meal” to make is certainly fried rice, and in particular, petai (stinky bean) fried rice.
Today I want to share the way I make this, with a simple video as well. Enjoy and stay safe!
- 1 cup rice (enough for 2 pax), cooked and preferred to have been left overnight so they aren’t sticky
- 2-3 eggs
- 100-200 gram prawns
- 100 gram petai
- 4-5 bulb garlic
- 3-4 cilipadi, chopped
- 2-3 red chili, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoon cooking oil/lard
- 2 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoon soya sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up oil and fry eggs until about 3/4 cooked, set aside
- Heat up more oil, fry garlic, petai, and red chili until fragrant, add salt & pepper
- Add shrimp and fry until pink
- Add rice, then add dark soya sauce & soya sauce
- Keep stirring until fragrant, then add back eggs just before serving
The result is a plate of spicy, stinky, and absolutely delicious fried rice dish that isn’t too difficult to execute. If you like petai like me, you’d love it. Enjoy, and stay safe and sane!