When it comes to a Malaysian kitchen, soya sauce and oyster sauce are some of the most important ingredients for cooking. I must admit that I used to be one of those people who doesn’t think twice and choose the closest shelve at the grocery store when buying those sauces. What I failed to realised tho, is that these sauces aren’t make alike at all.
Last week, I was given a few bottles of some of our favorite sauces by Bidor Kwong Heng to try out – Angel Soya Sauce, Angel Oyster Sauce, and Angel Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. These sauces are made from non-GMO ingredients and obtained international food safe certificates.
I’m made a couple dishes with these sauces in their ingredients to try them out. First – soya sauce chicken.
- 3 table spoon Angel Soya Sauce
- 3 table spoon Angel Oyster Sauce
- 1 quarter chicken (leg part)
- one bulb of garlic, peeled
- 5-6 slices of ginger
- star anise (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- mix soya sauce and oyster sauce in a small bowl with 1 cup of water
- heat up cooking oil and fry garlic, ginger, and star anise till fragrance
- add everything and simmer for 20-25 minutes with lid cover, flip the chicken half way
- enjoy while hot!
The dish turned out pretty good, Angel soya sauce and oyster sauce did a good job in adding a hint of complexity with its umami while not being overly salty. The chicken goes best with porridge especially if you mix the sauces all in. Enjoy!
For more about the sauces, check out www.bidorkwongheng.com