This is my version of bacon French toast, one that led me to buy a loaf of bread after not having any for more than two months since the start of MCO (movement controlled operation) thanks to Covid-19 pandemic (this description may come helpful years later).
There are many French toasts recipes, this one is mine.
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 2-3 pieces of bacon
- 1 piece of cheese
- put the egg in a bowl, beat & mix with butter
- pan fry bacon
- when you have enough oil released from bacon, fry bread after dipping in egg+butter
- place bacon on bread once crispy
- place cheese at the end
- eat while hot! Green bits are optional
I am a fan of kuih teow soup, and often said that it is a Penang hawker dish that is under represented in Klang Valley, taking a backseat to the more popular char kuih teow, prawn mee, and laksa alike. So yah, during this MCO period, I do start to miss having it, hence I made it a point to re-create a version of my own the other day with some leftover pork bone radish soup that I had the other day.
Here’s how you can do yours too with this simple recipe.
- soup stock (I used leftover pork base radish soup, you can use chicken soup too)
- pork belly meat (chicken/duck are good too)
- kuih teow
- spring onion
- bean sprouts
- beef ball/ fish ball
- cili padi and soya sauce as condiment
- cook the meat in soup stock till soft
- remove and cut into bite size
- add kuih teow in soup and cook for a minute or two
- add bean sprouts
- serve with spring onion on top
- a dash of garlic oil and lard would work well here too (I didn’t have)
This turned out to be quite wholesome and comforting, perfect for warming up the tummy.