When I was young, we made it a point to have a soup dish in every meal, in retrospect, I guess that’s a great way to have kids having enough liquid in our diet?
Anyway, I remember that one of my favorites of such soup dishes were the salted fish bone tofu and pork soup. So when I was at Kota Kinabalu not too long ago, I made it a point to get myself some good quality whole kurau salted fish that includes the boney bits.
So here’s the recipe I got from mom.
- salted fish bone (preferably ikan kurau)
- a bulb of garlic, peeled
- an inch of ginger, sliced
- spring onion, cut into 2 inches length
- pork slices, 300-500 gram
- tofu, 2 blocks
- 2 liter of water
- 4-5 tablespoon cooking oil
- soak fish bone for half an hour
- fry garlic, ginger and fish bone till fragrant
- add pork slices and brown the exterior
- add water and bring to boil for at least half hour
- add tofu for the last minute, add spring onion too
Comfort food for rainy days for sure!