To be honest Fu Yu Yau Mak, or Romaine Lettuce with fermented bean curd, was not a dish I’m familiar with growing up in Penang. Mom never really cooked this in our dinners, and it was only when I moved to Klang Valley for college did I have my first taste of this combination, and I love it ever since.
As it turns out, this is also one of the simplest dishes to prepare, here’s how:
the ingredients – garlic, romaine lettuce, fermented bean curd
- Romaine lettuce for two pax
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cubes of fermented bean curd (smashed em)
- 2-3 spoons of cooking oil
- 5-6 chili padi (chopped)
fry the garlic first, then everything next
- heat up cooking oil in medium heat and fry garlic till fragrant
- add in lettuce, chili padi & fermented bean curd
- fry until vegetable is soft, add 1/4 cup of water or soup stock if you prefer it a little wet
We’ve moved into the new house with a bigger kitchen, so expect a bit more simple recipes coming this way. Happy cooking!