It’s been a while since I posted any home cooked dishes. So here’s one, a simple garlic fried rice with seafood recipe.
This is something that you can prepare in less than half an hour, garlic fried rice is a pretty classic Japanese dish, I just add some seafood to kick it up a notch a bit. While traditionally they also use spring onion, I replaced it with red onion due to availability and that worked out well to add that crunchiness and freshness element to the dish.
garlic fried rice with prawns and scallops
- 1.5 cup of rice for 2 person
- 2 large eggs
- prawns (you can also add squid or other seafood)
- 2-3 bulb of garlic, chopped or cut in slices
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of soya sauce, some salt & pepper
- 3-4 tablespoon of cooking oil
ingredients – garlic, onion, rice, prawns, scallops
- heat up cooking oil
- fry garlic till a shade before golden brown, remove and set aside
- using the same oil, fry prawns (with a dash of salt), then remove and set aside
- sear scallops with shells on, then remove and set aside
the key is to fry the garlic, seafood, and rice separately
Cooking instructions part 2:
- with the same oil, fry eggs till 80% cooked
- add rice, and stir for a minute
- add soya sauce, salt, and some pepper
- add garlic and continue to stir for another minute
- add garlic and prawns, stir for another minute
- serve while hot (arrange your scallops with best of your artistic ability)
start with the egg, then rice, onion, then everything
The key to this dish is to have the garlic and seafood fried separately. This allows better control and ensures that each ingredients are cooked properly since they have different cooking time. Try it!
More recipes from yours truly can be found here.