It’s been something like a year since I did a movie review on this blog, there’s no particular reason for this slack but here’s a movie that I thought deserve one – Prometheus (2012).
The movie is sort of a prequel to the Alien series that many of us grew up watching, and in a way, an integral part of our childhood’s formation years. Prometheus is directed by the same Ridley Scott that made
those classics the original Alien and Blade Runner.
I watched this movie in TGV’s IMAX screen at Sunway Pyramid, and it utterly blew my mind away – the IMAX theater that is. It was crisp, clear, and sounded superb. Not entirely unlike switching from a 21″ old tube TV to the latest 55″ high definition LCD panel with a beefed up sound system to boot.
So much so that I want to watch every movie that’s release on TGV IMAX from now on, and I am not getting paid to write this.
TGV IMAX completely ruined my “normal” movie experience.
Anyway back to the movie that scored a (I think) very overrated 7.8/10 at IMDB.
A team of scientists travels through the universe on the spaceship “Prometheus” on a voyage to investigate Alien life forms. The team of scientists becomes stranded on an Alien world, and as they struggle to survive it becomes clear that the horrors they experience are not just a threat to themselves, but to all of mankind.
The movie has really excellent visuals with some scenes rival that of Avatar, pretty good pace, with rather decent acting (Michael Fassbender was excellent), and on top of that, you have Charlize Theron, that is always a bonus.
However, what I thought made it very disappointing are the things left unexplained and many that never make any sense. I know it’s essentially a sci-fi and you should be able to get away with many things, but consistency is key to any good story.
From here onwards it’s all spoilers, and read only if you have watched or are planning to watch.
Now here’s a list of problems I have with the movies:
- How could biologists violate all the health code there is? Taking off the face mask = risking potential alien virus/bacterial infection
- The same guy (Fifield) who deployed the navigational bots is the same guy who gets lost afterwards…
- The same paranoid guy (Milburn) somehow wanted to play with alien snake
- What are those black goo that kept flowing out of the vase?
- What is David’s motive in “poisoning” Charlie?
- A far superior civilization, the Engineers, didn’t even want to talk and just starts killing everyone in sight, that doesn’t seem very smart
- Charlize Theron’s character was smart enough to lead a space expedition, but couldn’t figure out running side way will save her life
- That almost Star Wars “father” line was utterly unnecessary
- How did the face hugger grew to be the size of Kraken in the medical pot without food?
- Why would the Engineer head to human’s escape pod when they have many other space ships of their own? If he wanted to kill all human on the planet first he’d have done it before the first attempt to fly off anyway.
OK I’ll stop here.