It’s time for another recipe sharing session. This time it’s seafood – fried prawns with soya sauce, a simple to prepare and yet pretty luxurious dish (just because prawns are so expensive these days).
I had some prawns in hand thanks for mom who actually works in a market, and since I ran out of asam to make my favorite nyonya style sam prawn, I went online to look for something simple to prepare, and landed on this fried prawns with soya sauce recipe from Babe KL. I know Babe KL & Capt’n Hook personally and was sure that her recipe wouldn’t go wrong.
trim off all sharp edges, add pepper, salt, corn starch
Anyway, here are the ingredients you need:
- big prawns, I had XL prawns, bigger the better
- 1 bulb garlic – chopped
- 2 inches ginger – cut into stripes
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- a couple stalks of spring onion
- cooking oil
cook the prawns and place it aside
Prawn preparation steps:
- trim off the all appendages of the prawns with a scissor
- clean and pad dry the prawns with paper towels
- marinate prawn with salt, pepper, and cover with corn starch
- heat up some cooking oil and fry prawns till reddish (2-3 minutes)
- set prawns aside
ginger, then garlic, then prawns, and all the sauces, finally spring onion
- heat up oil (or just use the remaining from frying prawns)
- fry ginger for a minute, then add garlic (because it takes longer to cook ginger)
- when garlic & ginger starts to turn golden, add in the prawns
- add worchestershire sauce, soya sauce, and dark soya sauce
- stir fry till fragrant
- add green onion and stir a little more just prior to serving
there you go, classic fried prawns with soya sauce
So there, the dish really turned out pretty well, I actually wished that we had put in even more garlic & ginger cos they really brought out the taste of the prawns and went well with rice. For those who likes it a little sweeter, feel free to add a teaspoon of sugar too.
For more recipe from yours truly, click on my cooking category.