Of the various type of meat that is popular in Asian kitchen, duck is often considered a bit of an after thought in this country. While you can find pork, beef, chicken, and mutton in almost every supermarket, duck is usually a bit harder to obtain.
The fact is, duck is just not a very popular meat here, and my best guess is the “duck smell” that many dislike, and that it is also less versatile and at the same time, more expensive than chicken.
ingredients for stew duck
That being said, stew duck is one of my favorite poultry dishes. My mom used to make this a couple times a year during festive seasons, and most of the time we’d finish the whole duck rather quickly.
As it turned out, while the process takes quite some time, stew duck isn’t a particularly difficult dish to cook.
This recipe is one that I find pretty simple to follow, and yet yield a pretty good result.
first, boil the ingredients in a frying pan
The ingredients are simple enough to obtain, and this is for half a duck that should sufficiently feed up to 3 person.
- half a duck
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- half a dozen cloves
- 3-4 slices of ginger
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 lemongrass
- 3 tablespoon of dark soya suace
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
stew the duck for about one hour, cut before serving
- rub salt all over the duck and let sit for at least 15-20 minutes
- in a frying pan large enough for the duck, heat up water & dark soya sauce
- add cinnamon, star anise, cloves, sugar, ginger, pepper, and lemongrass, bring to boil
- reduce fire to simmer, and add duck, garlic
- use a soup ladle, pour sauce over duck to cook the exposed portion
- turn the duck over every 15 minutes and cook for about an hour
- add water if it gets too dry
- cut and serve!
and here’s half a duck, cut and served
The duck will shrink a bit after cooking. I prefer to cut them into bite size before serving, but that can get a little tricky when it’s piping hot.
The stew duck goes well with white rice, and for those who loves garlic, you’ll also enjoy that bulb of garlic that is now soft and soaked with rich ducky flavor!
Haze, KY, and Vinn who is obviously enjoying herself!