Some of my favorite seafood dishes involves squid, and once in a while at mamak nasi kandar places, I’ll be tempted to take one of them big squids, but those things are always so ridiculously priced that I always stopped myself from committing that financial suicide.
Good thing is, squids are actually not expensive as an ingredient to cook. This is my recipe for whipping up some asam squid curry, it is pretty simple and can be prepared in less than half an hour, including cleaning the squid and preparing the home made curry paste.
ingredients for asam squid curry – dried chili, shallots, squid, asam, onion
For the curry paste ( you can skip this portion if pre-made curry paste is used, like one of those from Adabi). This is for portion of 2.
- 8 shallots
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 8 dried chili (fresh red chili would be ok too)
grind your own curry paste – with dried chili, garlic, and shallots
- 4 medium to large size squid (clean but leave head intact, I take out the eyes and beak too)
- 2 small red onion, sliced
- 3 table spoon of oil
- 3 table spoon of asam
- 1.5 cup of water
fry the curry paste, then squid, finally add asam water
The cooking method:
- mix water with asam
- heat up cooking oil and fry the prepared curry paste till fragrant (1-2 minutes)
- add squid and sauté for 2 minutes
- add onion, and cook for another minute or so
- add asam water (strain away the asam seeds)
- bring to boil and ready to serve
squid curry for two, yummeh
The result is a pretty yummy squid dish for two, add another plate of vegetables and it’s a balance dinner to go with rice already. Check out my cooking session for more recipe.
Cheers and happy cooking!