This is easily one of my favorite dishes from mom when I was young. Every time mom made her signature chicken rice, I would take a second serving. I think if she had made this more often, perhaps I’d be 6 foot tall and weigh 80kg with pure muscle (or more likely, same height with extra 20kg fat)
awesome home cook chicken rice with chinese sausage
The ingredients are quite close to claypot chicken rice, but with a few extras that you typically wouldn’t find at hawker center.
While it does take a few extra steps to prepare, this isn’t a dish that is difficult to make at all, or have ingredients that are hard to source even if you aren’t reside in Malaysia (and crave for that claypot chicken rice). Here’s the recipe.
home cook chicken rice ingredients – chicken, mushroom, chinese sausage
The ingredients (for 2 pax):
- cooking oil
- 1 quarter chicken (thigh & drumstick)
- 2 Chinese sausage (lap cheong)
- mushroom of any type
- some garlic
- dark soya sauce, soya sauce, salt
- rice wine (optional)
- shallots & spring onion for garnish
fry the rice and ingredients, then continue in rice cooker
You do need both a frying pan and rice cooker to make this dish, but no, there’s no clay pot or charcoal flame needed in this case.
- debone and chopped chicken into bite size
- heat up 2-3 table spoon of cooking oil, then fry chicken & diced garlic till chicken not pink
- add sliced Chinese sausage and mushroom into the pan
- add 2 tablespoon of dark soya sauce and continue frying for another 2 minutes
- add half a teaspoon of salt and a few shakes of soya sauce (a bit of rice wine if available)
- add rice and fry for a coupe minutes longer
- put everything in rice cooker, add 1.3 cups of water and complete cooking in rice cooker as you would cook normal rice
prepare the condiments – fried shallots and spring onion
While waiting for the rice to cook, prepare some fried shallots and chopped some fresh green onion as garnish. They will greatly add to the overall flavor and texture to the chicken rice dish.
One or two stalks of green onion and a couple shallots would be enough.
haze enjoying the chicken rice with ABC soup
The result is two plates of absolutely delicious home cook chicken rice prepared only in around one hour or so. The dish is best accompanied with some clear soup (ABC, radish soup, etc). Optionally, you can also add some salted fish on top, I would if I had some good quality ones to go with.
By the way remember the Kolony post I wrote a few weeks ago? As of writing there are 1,717,481 members already! The infection is going strong.
For those who missed the previous post, Kolony is a social network that is accessible from anywhere and everywhere without needing to own a smartphone. Any mobile phone with SMS capability is sufficient.
Do check it out at their website for more info – kolony.com.my
On another note, there’s the new Xpax plan that gives even better value – 28 sen for 10 mins call within network or 5 mins to other networks. 1 sen sms within network and 5 sen out of network, on top of that, you get free Koinz to use for Kolony too! Check em out ya.