As of writing, this blog has been in existence for slightly more than 6 years, and now I can proudly say that I appeared on national TV on the first day of CNY for something that has absolutely nothing to do with kyspeaks.com.
The title of this blog post too is appropriate, as I got to watch this segment of Malaysia Hari Ini on the first day of Chinese New Year 2011 with my mom, at ungodly 7 a.m. There was a total of one person who noticed the show and informed me via twitter. 😀
Malaysia Kini crew – with the host Nazrul
It all started out with Nazrul informing me about this opportunity to do a segment on Chinese New Year reunion dinner a couple weeks before CNY. Being a modest attention seeker that I am, I took it up despite knowing the fact that it has to be done in *gasp* .. Malay language.
Nazrul, Haze, Kim, Gareth were all in the video
The video was taken about a week prior to CNY, and since mom wasn’t around yet at the time, I invited Kim, Gareth, and his mom who’s from all the way across the globe (yes, this Shaolintiger is really a mat salleh). Haze, of course, was the co-host.
vegetable, black chicken herbal soup, steamed fish, kung pao chicken
For the dinner, I cooked black chicken herbal soup, steamed golden pomfret fish, kung pao chicken, and stir fried baby bok choy.
10 herbs black chicken soup preparation method
As for the black chicken herbal soup, the recipe is surprisingly simple.
- 1 black chicken, you can get this from any wet market. (they slaughter mine fresh, was a bit disturbing)
- Chinese 10-herb packets. I got them from the store next to Ming Tien, but you can get them even at Giants/Cold Storage these days.
- boil the black chicken separately for 2-3 minutes to remove any foam in the soup
- transfer the chicken to the soup pot and bring to boil with the herbs
- keep boiling with very low fire for a couple hours
- alternatively, you can also use a slow cooker, thermal cooker, or double boiling pot.
So there you go! Do view the video and tell me what you think about my spoken Malay, hehehe.