Slightly over a decade ago, I bought my very first car, a used 1987 Honda Accord for US $1,700. That was equivalent to about 3 months worth of working part time for 20 hours per week on campus.
my faithful 1987 Honda Accord
I bought the car at Wichita, Kansas while visiting a friend and drove it all the way to St. Cloud, Minnesota. A journey of about 1,100 km that took about 12 hours.
With the same car, I drove alone from Minnesota to Washington DC to celebrate the Millenium New Year with a couple of friends. This time it was over 2000 km and 2 days driving (including sleep, eat, pee, etc), each way.
It was the type of stunt crazy college students do, but also a testament of the endurance the car.
Honda Civic Type-R FD2 for Merdeka Millenium Race
The picture above is the Honda Civic Type-R FD2, a bit of a far cry from my old 1987 Honda Accord but with the same engineering philosophy and a healthy dose of racing spirit behind it. This is the car Honda Malaysia Racing Team (HMRT) use to compete in the famed Merdeka Millenium Endurance Race (MME), one of the toughest racing event in Asia.
This year, the grueling 12-hour endurance race will be held on 5-8th August at Sepang International Circuit. This competition is about strategy, speed, stamina, team work, and of course, durability of the machine. Honda captures the experience from events like this to continuously improve on their offerings.
HMRT came up with 2nd place in class A (production car with engine exceeding 2000 cc) last year.
So, you might ask. Yah, and what’s this gotta do with me, especially since most of us aren’t exactly race car drivers. Well, there is a challenge Honda Malaysia cooked up.
Again, with all contests, the most important thing is the prizes, so lets get that out of the way:
- Grand Prize – 2 x Apple Macbook per team
- 2nd Prize – 2x iPhone 3GS per team
- 3rd Prize – 2x iPod Touch per team
- Consolation Prize – 28 Alpinestar Racing merchandise
The mechanics of the contest is also actually very fun, especially if you’re into racing and go-karting.
- To join, simply head to honda.com.my, register, answer 5 questions on the contest page and complete a slogan.
- Shortlisted participants get to choose a friend to form a team for Go-Kart Endurance Race on 7th August. 20 teams with most laps completed move to the final round
- Final race – 7th August 11pm to 8th August 12pm. The race will be revealed on MME Race Day, and winners announced on same day too.
It’s that simple, so are you up for the challenge? I think I’m gonna have to go do a few rounds of practice on the Go-Kart track.