There used to be two options to watch World Cup (or indeed any football matches)
- Watch it at home on your TV with Astro (or better still, Astro B.yond)
- Go to a local mamak or food court with big projector
Now there’s a 3rd option – watch it online on Astro B.player at www.astro.com.my/bplayer!
Astro B.player webpage, showing current and upcoming games
To access Astro B.player, simply go to www.astro.com.my/bplayer and register. General public gets to stream 38 World Cup games, and if you’re a Maxis user or an Astro Sports package subscriber can watch all 64 matches online live plus match highlights and replays.
The registration process only takes a few minutes. FAQ can be found here.
Japan vs Paraguay on Astro B.player
Though I am a subscriber of Astro B.yond service (with a new 40″ FHD LCD TV that I recently bought), I decided to try the service for the Japan vs Paraguay in the round of 16 matches.
While not exactly full HD quality like you’d get on the TV, the streaming is surprisingly smooth and the audio pretty much indistinguishable from regular feeds.
Highlights and instant replay on Save/Misses
What I also like about Astro B.player is the extra feature they added on the site. You can view highlights, goals, saves/misses, and even check on which players are on cards. This is a feature that you can’t get on the TV as yet. Pretty nifty.
All the more miserable for me as Japan painfully exit the tournament by losing 5-4 to Paraguay in the penalties. Poor Komano missed the only penalty, but the Japs did put up a good fight. All Asian teams are out now, 4 more years I guess.
There’s also a contest in conjunction with the launch of Astro B.player. The mechanic is simple:
- register with Astro B.player at www.astro.com.my/bplayer
- watch live games on B.player and click on Share button
- share the URL on twitter (register yourself and follow me if you haven’t!)
- remember to include #astrobplayer hashtag
- Astro will track the tweets, and if it’s awesome you’ll stand a chance to win!