As I was doing the regular filter flush out in the morning over the weekend for the Koi Pond, the tap for the 3rd flush out tap busted. Luckily the knob was in the “closed” position when that happened, no panic.
the busted tap, fixed
I happened to have a spare tap on hand, however, the PVC glue that was used from the project has ran dry, so a trip to the hardware store was inevitable. I also bought a tube of silicon sealant to better seal the connection between the PVC pipe adapter and the fiberglass filter. The actual fixing didn’t take more than half an hour.
the material used
I took the opportunity to clean the filter too. While waiting for the PVC and silicon sealant to dry, I had to transfer the filter material to the spare fiberglass tank (the same one we used for the chap gor meh boat rowing.) This is essential as the filter material contains living micro organism whose job is to breakdown the harmful organic waste produced by the fish, without the bacteria, the water will quickly turn toxic. An airpump was used to airate the filter material.
dry waterfall and temporary filter material housing
For several hours, the waterfall was dry. By nightfall, the filter material was moved back to the fiberglass filter, and everything restored back to order. Happy fishes again =)