MR2 Mickey in his track car, ready to go
I went to the inaugural Grassroot Motorsport Autocross Event at KLCC on the 20th of November, 2005, as a spectator. I got to know of this event from MR2 Mickey, who is a participant, and an MR2 enthusiast.
The organising company, Grass Racing Autosports (GRA), accepted over 90 cars participating in 6 different categories in the event. Entry fee was only RM 65 per car per category per round. The affordability probably was the most important factor contributing to the high turn-out. GRA had to stop receiving applications early.
some of the participating cars
The categories were:
- Class A: Below 1300cc engine capacity
- Class B: 1301-1600cc engine capacity
- Class C: 1601-1900cc engine capacity
- Class D: 1901-2400cc engine capacity
- Class E: 2401cc and above engine capacity
- Class F: Sports Car Class
Class E has no restrictions on modifications, though car must retain it’s original dimension. Class F is any vehicle with open top/close top and two seater non turbo. Micro cars and K cars are not eligible into this class.
old school Datsun Fairlady Z
The event was hugely entertaining, with a very funny MC giving scores and witty comments during the entire afternoon. Some of his gems include:
- “kelisa pun lagi cepat” (even a kelisa is faster) – when commenting on the EVO 8
- “dia suka makan angin” (he loves sight seeing) – complaining cars running too slow
- “kalau pemandu tak berhati-hati, kita pula kena berhati-hati” (if the drivers are not careful, we’d have to becareful) – a spin on the slow drivers
a toyota MR2
Average runs are in the mid 40 seconds. The fastest time was by a Lotus Elise that recorded a below 39s. Mickey’s best run was 41.13 in his MR2. The Datsun Fairlady Z was the best entertainer of the day, spun out and decided to make donuts on the track and hit a few cones before finishing his run. The crowd went wild.
K cars too
There were lucky draws at the booth, with winners having a chance to sit in veteran racing and rally driver Ivan Khong’s BF Goodrich sponsored Subaru Impreza, or MR2 Mickey’s car for a taxi ride on the track. The taxi service isn’t your ordinary KLIA limo ride, it’s a high speed drift with two of the very experienced drivers. The winners had a great time, and I wonder if any of them peed in thier pants.
how can an auto event be complete without race queens?
For more info, join the GRA group at Yahoo.